over 4 years ago
Volunteering as an advocate is an opportunity to support people who due to circumstances such as disability or disadvantage find it difficult to access information and to speak up and have their voices heard.
Advocates help to empower people so that they have a say in shaping their own lives. Volunteer advocates help to support clients and paid advocates with a wide range of issues.
Skills and requirements to volunteer as an advocate
- Be over eighteen years old
- Live in local area and/or be willing to travel
- Be available to volunteer for a few hours each week (Generally Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)
- Have a reasonable standard of written and spoken English
- Be computer literate
- Have good organisational skills
- Have some understanding of social care and health services
- Have good communication and listening skills
- Have the ability to question and challenge in a sensitive manner
- Be able to maintain confidentiality
- Be non judgemental and have respect for the different life choices and philosophies of others
- Be willing to ask for help and support
- Be willing to undergo a DBS check
Pohwer will pay all reasonable volunteering expenses in line with POhWER’s policy.
Volunteer advocates are required to attend training and individual reviews as part of their ongoing development
This role is ideal for volunteers who are able to commit a few hours each week on a long term basis. Some previous knowledge of health and social Care will be useful. The role will suit retirees, students, recent graduates and those currently seeking employment. Experience as a volunteer advocate can help with career development within areas such as social care and law.
Please send CV and contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone 0300 200 0084
For more information please visit our website at www.pohwer.net
We value diversity at TPP and welcome applications from all sections of the community.