- To provide professional support to the Managing Director and thereby facilitate their ability to perform their role effectively.
- To manage external relationships on behalf of the Managing Director, working with the offices very senior contacts and co-ordinating the Managing Director' public affairs and policy engagement with bilateral donors, international humanitarian and development organisations, NGOs and other relevant external stakeholders.
- Project managing the Managing Director' research work, ensuring timely delivery, working closely with Research Fellows and Research Officers.
- To manage the internal profile of the Managing Director, ensuring that they have the capacity to effectively discharge their management duties, that they are well informed of processes and events.
- Working with in collaboration with the Executive Director's Assistant to coordinate the Director's meeting preparation and planning.
Supporting the Managing Director - external
- Representing the Managing Director to external contacts and visitors
- Support the Managing Director in managing ongoing relationships with senior externals ensuring that communication is timely, effective and appropriate and that the tone of correspondence is appropriate.
- Act as the first point of contact for the Managing Director, screening initial contacts and responding to enquiries in their absence. Use initiative in deciding whether information is relevant to them, acting on information where appropriate or forwarding on to the relevant person as necessary.
- Develop a knowledge and understanding of the key issues facing the Humanitarian and Resilience cluster in collaboration with the line manager, to enable the post holder to act on behalf of and support the Managing Director as appropriate.
Supporting the Managing Director
- Supporting the Managing Director and facilitating their role by managing their diary, ensuring long term strategic items are well planned as well as managing the ongoing reactive workload in line with their expectations and needs;
- Ensuring that the Managing Director is well prepared for all meetings, briefing them in advance, preparing presentations and providing any necessary information or papers
- Planning and coordinating the Managing Director's travel, ensuring compliance with travel security policy
- Assisting the Managing Director in fulfilling his internal management role by proactively managing needs and expectations across the programmes, overseeing the timely completion of their HR responsibilities and preparing them for management meetings
- Ensuring that the Managing Director fulfils his commitments to internal communications, drafting text where appropriate
- Prioritising emails and correspondence for the Managing Director, dealing with them directly where possible and taking responsibility for preparing and following up items that need to be handled by the Managing Director
- Maintain and further develop an effective filing system for the Managing Director
- Co-ordinate the processing of travel invoices and expenses
- Co-ordinate the planning, running and follow up of key events and meetings and working with communications staff to coordinate the Managing Director, media activities
Senior Management Support
- Managing the administration of the management activities of the Managing Director, including the Senior Management Team and the Management Group;
- Manage the Managing Director' diary to include meetings with institute staff over the SMT areas of responsibility allocated to the Managing Director, such as Travel and Security, Communications and Finance
Tasks for a more experienced candidate
- Draft correspondence on behalf of the Managing Director, develop an understanding of their working styles and their styles of written communication, and the line that the Managing Director takes on specific issues to inform the content of the correspondence.
- Responsible for the project management of all funded and research projects undertaken by the Managing Director, managing deadlines, contracts and financial reporting etc.