9 months ago
HOST is a charity which promotes international friendship and cultural exchange by arranging for adult international students, who are currently studying in the UK, to spend a day or weekend in British homes of volunteer hosts.
HOST is looking for an office volunteer to work in our Hatfield office. We would like to give suitable candidates the opportunity to gain valuable experience in administration whilst helping our charity thrive.
Title: Office Volunteer
Location: Hatfield, Hertfordshire
Working in the HOST office, you will:
- Be available for 3-5 days a week (Monday to Friday) for 3-6 months from 10.00 am - 4.30 pm (with a half-hour lunch break).
- Have your expenses and lunch allowance paid
- Support the CE and staff members with all administrative tasks such as replying to queries, updating information on the database, occasional research - you will become familiar with Outlook and the HOST database.
- Take your turn on the reception desk, answering the telephone and taking messages.
- Deal directly by phone, email and occasionally in person, with international students, volunteer Regional Organisers and volunteer hosts, university officers, the general public and any other enquirers - you will learn to deal diplomatically with a wide variety of people, to communicate with people whose first language is not English, to receive and give information efficiently, and to keep records of conversations.
- Be given your own projects to work on - you will learn how to manage and organise your workload, and to set and work to deadlines.
- As required, perform office tasks to support the work of the Regional Organisers - including printing, photocopying, making up information packs, giving IT support.
- Assist with any other ad hoc exercises.
- Contribute pro-actively to all aspects of HOST's work.
- Assist with some basic marketing support, including research and mail-outs
- A strong grasp of written and spoken English is essential.
- Basic to good knowledge of Microsoft Office, in particular Excel and Word.
- Time management
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people of different backgrounds
- Comfortable working both alone and as part of a small team
CV and interviews. Deadline to apply: midday, 1st March 2019. Candidates will ideally start in mid to late March following a successful interview.
To apply, please send your CV and Covering Letter to Sarah Bano on firstname.lastname@example.org