over 1 year ago
Strength in Communities, trading as Parents 1st , is recruiting a board member to support all aspects of the finance function.
Parents 1st turnover for 2018/19 is anticipated to be in the region of £320k. This covers both our local programme in South Essex and our national development work, aiming to share evidence and good practice in the provision of support through pregnancy, birth and beyond. Please see our website at www.parents1st.org.uk for more information.
2018 promises to be an exciting and innovative year for the organisation as we explore and develop an open source model of disseminating good practice in perinatal support, advice and training. We are therefore looking for someone with a passion for improving the experiences of parents and their new babies to give each child the best possible start in life.
This is a non-remunerated position, although out of pocket expenses are paid.
- Work with the CEO, accountant and bookkeeper to become familiar with the work, finances and ethos of Strengths in Communities / Parents 1st
- Support the CEO to ensure the board is fully briefed on the financial position of the organisation
- Report to and advise the board on the current and forecast financial position and action required to ensure sustainability
- Ensure the board has appropriate knowledge and understanding of the organisation's financial position
- Ensure Parents 1st has adequate and appropriate financial procedures, risk assessment and safeguards in place
- Look ahead and alert the board to future potential issues
- Assist with fundraising and contract applications and budgets
- Produce and present annual budgets to the board
- Take an active part as a non-executive Director on the board and contribute to all board discussions and decision making
- Prepare for and attend quarterly board meetings, an Annual Board Awayday and other occasional meetings as appropriate
- Be available to attend the Basildon office to support and advise on a monthly basis and to undertake some work at home
The successful candidate for this role will hold ACCA or CIMA qualifications and preferably, have experience of producing and overseeing the finance function of SMEs, social enterprise and / or charities. You will be skilled in interpreting the figures and reporting to the CEO and board in plain English, answering questions as required. You will have experience of developing pragmatic and robust financial systems and safeguards including delegation of authorities policies.
In addition to these finance and financial management skills, you will bring a passion for the work of Parents 1st both locally and nationally and a willingness to participate in the full range of appropriate practical operational and board matters. Despite assisting and advising on the production of management accounts and budgets, you will maintain a governance role and approach to the role.
How to Apply
If you are interested in this role, please send your CV and a covering letter illustrating how you would meet the role and person specification requirements to:
Celia Suppiah, CEO
The closing date for applications is 31st January 2018 Applications will be shortlisted and interviews will take place by appointment following this date.
For an informal discussion, please contact Brenda Bond, Chair, at email@example.com to arrange a convenient time.