5 months ago
The British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy are looking for a Membership and Professional Standards Committee Member.
Purpose: The Membership and Professional Standards Committee advises on membership, diversity within membership, professional standards and membership standards, divisions, membership services and the development of the Ethical Framework.
Responsible to: The Chair of MaPS and the Board of Governors.
The Membership and Professional Standards Committee ("Committee") holds delegated responsibility for developing, informing and monitoring the membership strategy of the Association; developing, informing and monitoring the professional standards strategy of the Association; overseeing the Association's membership procedures, policies and plans and their quality assurance; ensuring compliance with appropriate regulations; take and commission reports on internal audit against policy; development of grades of membership and services; development of differentiated scope of practice; development of approved qualifications and accreditation services, development of the Ethical Framework and Good Practice resources, development of all professional standards and requirements and the development of divisions and specialist interest groups, steering committees and working groups. There will be a maximum of seven committee members, recruited by the Chair, who will either be a BACP member or a lay member. The committee members will be expected to comply with the prevailing Terms of Reference and will have a single equal vote.
Term of office
Appointments are for a period of up to three years, which may be extended for a further three years.
The Committee shall meet up to four times per year, always prior to a Board meeting; and otherwise as requested. In addition, the Chair is expected to commit such additional time to satisfactorily perform the duties required to lead a governance committee.
Carrying out the role
The committee member is expected to:
- Attend Committee meetings fully prepared to participate; to ensure key decisions are reached, having read up on information sent out.
- Participate in the Committee's performance review and to work with BACP staff to develop the skills set of the Committee.
- Attend BACP events to promote and support the work of the Committee, including the Annual General Meeting: to answer any questions members may have on the Committee's activities.
- Maintain absolute confidentiality of sensitive/confirmation information received whilst a committee member.
- Always act in the best interests of BACP to support its charitable aims and achieve its strategic objectives.
- Observe the code of conduct, procedures and policies as they relate to volunteers.
- Uphold the seven principles which constitute the Charity Governance Code:
- Organisational purpose
- Decision making, risk and control
- Board effectiveness
- Openness and accountability
The MaPS committee member will have:
- An understanding of professional standards, how approved qualifications support standards and how both apply in membership organisations.
- A current member* of BACP; or a lay member - preferably with experience of membership organisations.
- A willingness to devote time and effort.
- Good, independent judgement.
- An ability to think creatively.
- An understanding of the responsibilities of their position.
Knowledge and experience of the third sector advantageous but not essential.
*members currently the subject of investigation or sanction through the professional conduct process are ineligible and cannot apply
There is no remuneration attached to this role, however, reimbursement of reasonable expenses incurred in carrying out the role of Chair will be reimbursed in line with BACP's Business Expenses Policy. Any other remuneration is subject to Charity Commission guidelines and the approval of the Board of Governors.
Please forward your CV and detailed letter of application to Pam Ludlow, Governance Manager via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by post to BACP, BACP House, 15 St. John's Business Park, Lutterworth, Leicestershire LE17 4HB.
For more information relating to the role please contact email email@example.com, telephone 01455 883311 or visit our volunteers page at https://www.bacp.co.uk/careers/volunteer-for-bacp