2 months ago
Established for over 30 years, Islington Chinese Association (ICA) is a leading London based Chinese charity promoting social cohesion within the Borough of Islington, across the UK and beyond. We operate a small community centre in Archway and are committed to providing a variety of outstanding services for the benefit of the community, in particular being mindful of the needs of the disadvantaged in society.
The Board of Trustees has identified a skills gap within the Board and seek a Human Resources professional to join the Board, - leading on the development of ICA's personnel and training strategies; contributing to wider policy making; and ensuring that ICA's management is robust and conforms with Charity Commission guidelines.
The current staff team consists of 8 part time employees that number fluctuating depending on project funding. A large team of volunteers help in delivering the community centre's rich mix of activities.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Advise the Board on the human resource implications of its decisions
- Update personnel systems appropriate to the charity's mission and purpose
- Guide the CEO in the execution of the HR functions for staff and volunteer teams
- Help organise the recruitment, selection and performance appraisal of staff
- Plan staff training and development programmes
- Help improve HR communications, including mediating in disputes
- Advise the Board in changes in UK's employment regulations ensuring ICA's compliance with employment and Health and Safety laws
- Contribute to the overall strategy of the organisation, in particular the potential impact of strategic plans and feasibility studies
- Work alongside other trustees in areas beyond HR, to ensure the ongoing health and development of the organisation
Skills you need
- Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (or equivalent) qualification
- Broad experience in appropriate HR work
- Strategic vision and independent judgement working within a team of trustees
- Under normal circumstances there are quarterly board meetings but in 2021 the Board will meet 6 times a year, with informal meetings/online discussions in between
- During your initial months on the Board the necessity of informal meetings online is likely to be greater
- Participate in other tasks as they rise from time to time, such as facilitating strategic planning 'away days', helping with fundraising efforts
What's in it for you
- ICA's trustees all work on a voluntary basis. There is no monetary remuneration
- This role will suit a HR manager who enjoys skill sharing with like-minded professionals in a small and friendly board
- You learn to take an interest in the Chinese community of London, Chinese new arrivals in the UK, their sense of fun and their cultural pursuits
- As an active member of ICA you begin to associate with people across all walks of life, and join them in juggling your language skills
Those interested, please contact email@example.com with a brief CV.