12 months ago
Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We are determined to end homelessness. We do it person by person and by influencing policies to ensure everyone has a place to call home.
Homelessness is devastating, leaving people vulnerable and isolated.
Crisis offers ground-breaking housing, health, education and employment services. We work with thousands of homeless people across the UK every year. We are determined campaigners. We draw on our research, partnerships and years of experience of working directly with homeless people to deliver change and a vision to end homelessness for good.
You will contribute to ending homelessness by:
Supporting our Housing Procurement Team to source good quality accommodation for our members. Whilst you won't be directly working with our members, you will be using your knowledge of the housing sector, creativity and communication skills to help prevent homelessness and facilitate access to housing which will enable our members to move on in their journey out of homelessness. You will support in a range of tasks from day to day admin and record keeping to carrying out research to communicating our offer to partners and landlords.
Timings: Flexible during office hours. We are looking for someone who can offer 1-2 days on a weekly basis
Location: You will carry out this role remotely from home. This role may move to being from one of our London offices at a future date but for the foreseeable future we anticipate this role will operate remotely.
Responsible to: Housing Procurement Officer
What you will gain
- An opportunity to influence both private rented and third sector, and bring about positive change
- The knowledge you have made a difference by helping someone to end their homelessness
- An opportunity to be part of a friendly team who are committed to ending homelessness
- Full induction and training for the role followed by support from a volunteer supervisor and an opportunity to participate in virtual volunteering activities including socials, wellbeing, and reflective support
- A reference from a reputable organisation
- Respond to general enquiry emails to the Housing Procurement Team
- Assess potential leads for properties for suitability and forward to the procurement officers for follow up
- Support with advertising properties
- Support with document and information management including:
- Following up on outstanding documents such as tenancy sign ups and landlord paperwork
- Supporting the team with property and landlord checks for example checking on property planning permissions, the rogue landlords register, licences and electricity and gas performance certificates
- Support the team to communicate more widely within the organisation by posting on Yammer and helping create content for team communications
- Researching and creating internal resources to support the procurement team for example gathering information for quarterly updates
- Updating records using Excel spreadsheets
- Updating and creating PowerPoint presentations to be used by the team
- Managing information in line with Data Protection legislation
Who we are looking for:
- Be passionate about ending homelessness
- Be an excellent communicator who is confident speaking to individuals by phone and email and presenting information. This includes the ability to communicate effectively in writing to different audiences and having a good telephone manner with experience in taking calls and messages
- Have excellent organisational and IT skills, particularly using Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Email
- Be persistent and resilient
- Have some knowledge and understanding of the London housing rental market
- Be able to represent Crisis positively and professionally
- Have an understanding of data protection and how to manage information in line with this legislation and confidentiality
- Be flexible in your approach to work, be able to work remotely and manage your role by aiming for a balance of taking initiative with referring to your supervisor for guidance.
- Have a willingness to learn and develop within the role
- Be reliable
- Be committed to attending training for the role (virtually) and participating in supervision. You will also be required to complete e-learning on General Data Protection Regulations and Diversity and Inclusion in order to undertake this role
- Ideally, as this is a newly developed role, we are looking for someone who can offer us a minimum of 6 months in the role
For this role you will need to have access to a laptop/desktop computer and wi-fi. Your personal device will need to have up to date operating software and anti-virus security. As you will be accessing confidential data you will be required to complete a Basic Disclosure check as part of our recruitment process.
How do I apply?
To apply please go to our website www.crisis.org.uk. Once we receive your application, we will acknowledge receipt and explain the next steps to you.
Application portal: https://volunteer.crisis.org.uk/opportunity/CR_AQaGeGa/details