9 months ago
The Royal Medical Benevolent Fund is the leading UK charity for doctors, medical students and their families. We provide support and advice to members of the medical profession and their dependents at times of crisis and serious need. We have made significant progress over the last few years growing our reach and increasing our impact. As the medical profession continues to change, we want to build on our successes, and continue to meet new and emerging needs.
The Treasurer will oversee the financial matters of the RMBF in line with good practice and in accordance with the governing document and legal requirements, and report to the Board of Trustees at regular intervals about the financial health of the Charity. The Treasurer will ensure that effective financial measures, controls and procedures are put in place, and are appropriate for the Charity.
- oversee all financial aspects of the Charity, on behalf of the Board of Trustees
- assist the Chair, other Honorary Officers, and the CEO in ensuring that the Board of Trustees fulfils its duties and responsibilities for the proper financial governance of the Charity.
Duties and tasks to fulfil key responsibilities:
In partnership with the CEO, and the Finance Committee, to:
- ensure that the charity operates within the financial guidelines set out in current legislation, by the Charity Commission, in the RMBF's constitution and by the Board of Trustees
- ensure that the RMBF has adequate financial and internal audit controls and that these are monitored and reviewed regularly
- identify and bring to the attention of the Board, any financial risks facing the Charity
- ensure that the RMBF's financial resources are sufficient to meet the Charity's current and future needs, and to advise the Board on the reserves policy, and to ensure that this policy is reviewed and monitored regularly
- scrutinise the proposed annual budget, and advise and guide the Board accordingly
- scrutinise management accounts, including performance against budget and advise the Board accordingly
- monitor the performance of the investment managers and meet them on a regular basis, ensuring that they act in accordance with the RMBF's investment policy and achieve agreed benchmarks
- meet the external auditors on a regular basis
- formally present the audited accounts to the annual general meeting drawing to attention all relevant matters, and to respond to questions from the floor
- recommend to the Board for approval an annual budget, the annual accounts, an investment strategy, a reserves policy, and audit arrangements
- Chair the Finance Committee which meets 3 times a year, and to sit on the RMBF Staffing Committee, and the RMBF Compliance Committee, which both meet once a year.
- To undertake such duties as the Board may delegate from time to time.
Statutory duties of a trustee:
- To ensure the organisation complies with its governing document - sometimes known as a trust deed, constitution, or articles of association.
- To ensure that the organisation pursues its objectives as defined in its governing document.
- To contribute actively to the Board of Trustees' role in giving strategic direction to the organisation, setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
- To safeguard the good name and values of the organisation.
- To ensure the effective and efficient administration of the organisation.
- To ensure the financial stability of the organisation.
- To protect and manage the property of the organisation and to ensure the proper investment of the organisation's funds.
As well as the various statutory duties, any trustee should make full use of any specific skills, knowledge or experience to help the board make good decisions.
The above list of duties is indicative only and not exhaustive. The Treasurer will be expected to perform all such additional duties as are reasonably commensurate with the role.
For more information on our work, please visit our website:
To apply, please send your CV with a covering statement by the closing date of midday on Monday 18th November to email@example.com Interviews will be held during the last two weeks of November.