Brighton, East Sussex
5 months ago
Role Title: Treasurer
Main Purpose: To maintain an overview of the TDC's financial affairs, ensuring our long term financial viability, by providing scrutiny and support to the Management Team to oversee financial procedures, reporting and risk management.
Hours: Expected approximately one day per month
Remuneration: Voluntary role with expenses reimbursed.
Term: Three-Year term, can be re-elected for multiple terms.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the Board's duty to ensure TDC's financial resources are controlled, reported on, invested and spent in line with governance, legal and regulatory requirements.
- Strategy and Budgeting. Ensure all strategic plans are financially appraised and budgets are aligned to both short-term and long-term objectives each year.
- Ensure a high standard of management accounting is maintained - ensuring the organisation is responding appropriately to financial reports.
- Support the development and implementation of policies regarding financial reserves, cost management, pensions and investment.
- Oversee TDC's financial procedures, ensuring we operate within all relevant legal frameworks.
- Oversee TDC's use of bank accounts and take responsibility as a counter signatory on the organisation's payments and contracts where required.
- Sustainable Business Model. Support the Management Team to develop and implement a sustainable business model.
- Annual Audit. Provide Board level liaison with external auditors including an overview of the whole audit process.
- Guide and advise the Board regarding the approval of annual and audited accounts, and all financial reporting, in plain language, which is fully understood by the Trustees.
- Finance Staffing. Support the Chief Executive to design and recruit appropriate staff and freelancers to deliver TDC's accountancy, finance and bookkeeping work.
- Board Meetings. Prepare for and attend quarterly Board Meetings, including one Annual Away Day and other meetings as required.
- Internal Sub-Committee Meetings. Prepare for and attend quarterly Internal Sub-Committee Meetings.
- To represent TDC when required at public events, meetings with funders etc.
- To ensure Board decisions are made in line with TDC's community development values.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Finance Expertise. Extensive experience as a finance professional, qualified by examination or experience, with demonstrated commercial awareness and knowledge.
- Charity Finance. Demonstrated knowledge and experience of charity finance practices including familiarity with SORP.
- Proven ability to communicate and explain financial information to members of the Board and other stakeholders.
- Competent use of IT skills.
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to the role of Treasurer.
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship
- To demonstrate a commitment to TDC's community development values.
- Equal Opportunities. A commitment to equal opportunities practice.
Enquiries. If you would like to discuss the role before applying, please contact TDC's Chief Executive, Athol Hallé on firstname.lastname@example.org or 07730 624 363.
Application. To apply for this role, please submit both a CV and cover letter by email to Athol Hallé on email@example.com by 2pm on Saturday 13th October.
Please can you include within your cover letter:
- Person Specification. Please include details of how you meet the areas outlined in the Person Specification above.
- Interest in role. Please explain why you are interested in volunteering for TDC.
Shortlisted applicants will then be invited to a formal interview with TDC's Chair of Trustees and Chief Executive, ideally on Wednesday 17th October. Please let us know if you would prefer a daytime or evening slot, or we can arrange an alternative date if required. Many thanks for considering this role.