almost 2 years ago
Are you organised?
Can you take notes for charity Board meetings?
Do you have an interest in supporting a charity that supports people living with dementia?
You could be the Honorary Secretary for Understanding Dementia, a dynamic charity based in Twyford, RG10, and help us to enhance our work.
About our organisation:
Understanding Dementia exists to promote a clear understanding of dementia and to lessen the impact on people living with it. Our small but growing organisation provides training for care workers, health professionals and family carers in a new and very simple approach that anyone can use.
The charity needs an organised and efficient Honorary Secretary to assist Board members with meetings and their governance; previous experience of charity trusteeship or Committee membership would be highly valued!
The Board meets quarterly in Twyford; it is expected that all Trustees offer a minimum of 4 hours per month in their role, although more is always welcome.
You need to be over 18, and will need to provide two references who are not family members.
This is a voluntary role but we reimburse approved reasonable travel or other appropriate expenses.
Role & Responsibilities of Honorary Secretary
- Work with the Chair of the organisation to make sure all Board Members have access to an agenda and other documents in advance of meetings
- Ensure an accurate record of Board and Annual General Meetings are made and kept
- Attend and record the proceedings of meetings in an efficient and effective manner in formal Minutes, asking for clarification of discussions and decisions made, wherever necessary
- Provide draft Minutes to the Chair of the meeting in a timely manner; once agreed by the Chair, distribute these and any other documents to Board Members
- Ensure communication with and between Board Members is effective, assisting and encouraging use of efficient electronic means
- Assist Board Members to make sure that all policies (e.g. health & safety, equality of opportunity, safeguarding, etc.) are up-to-date and adhered to
- Take part in training sessions provided for the Board
Skills and Attributes Required
- Understanding, support and empathy towards the organisation's purpose and its beneficiaries
- Ability to take concise and accurate notes
- Ability to produce formal Minutes from notes taken
- Ability to use electronic distribution means, i.e. email, Cloud, to share documents
- Ability to listen
- Reliability; punctuality
- Approachability, friendliness & diplomacy
What can you gain from volunteering as our Honorary Secretary?
- Exercise your note-taking and summarising skills and knowledge, possibly in a different context
- Develop new skills
- Expand on your experience of charities
- Develop your understanding of dementia and how it affects people
- Network and meet new people
- Make a positive difference to your community
- Boost to your career or CV, if needed
- Induction, training, support from the organisation and from charity-support organisations such as inVOLve
What do Understanding Dementia gain from your help?
- Your organisational skills
- Your electronic communication skills & efficiency
- Accurate Minutes of meetings, which helps our good governance and organisational growth
- Your enthusiasm
More about Understanding Dementia: http://understandingdementia.co.uk/
Understanding Dementia on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/understandingdm/
Application for the role of Honorary Secretary is welcome from anyone: an informal & no-obligation telephone discussion with the CEO can be requested via email@example.com which is also where CVs can be sent.