North London, London
2 months ago
Team: Home Support Team
Location: Noah's Ark supports families living in Barnet, Camden, Enfield, Haringey, Islington & Hertsmere. We are particularly keen to expand our team of Home Support Volunteers in the Enfield area.
Time Commitment: It is hoped that volunteers can commit to supporting a family for a minimum of 12 months.
Minimum Age: 18+
Purpose of this role
Living with a child's diagnosis can place considerable strain on the whole family and in recognition of this the Home Support Volunteer programme was established in 2008 to help families cope with the demands of providing constant care. Home Support Volunteers aim to provide to provide a range of practical and social support to the families of children with life-limiting and life-threatening conditions in the community.
Becoming a Home Support Volunteer is a serious commitment but it provides a rewarding opportunity to directly support children with life-limiting/ life threatening conditions and their families.
What the role involves
The needs of individual families will differ, but each Home Support Volunteering role will be agreed in advance between the family, Noah's Ark, and the volunteer depending on the member of the family being supported, a Home Support Volunteer role could involve:
- Playing together, sharing hobbies or activities
- Helping with homework or reading
- Going on trips out
Noah's Ark [Referred] Children
- Playing together, sharing hobbies
- Doing sensory or developmental play activities
- Helping with homework or reading
- Supporting them with getting out into the community, e.g. attending a parent & child group
- Playing with the child to allow them to get chores done in the home or have a break
- Helping with light housework chores such as laundry & ironing
- Driving the family to medical appointments
- Gardening & mowing the lawn
- Decorating or helping to pack boxes for a house move
- Supporting the family on a day trip out
- Ability to work well with others
- A good understanding of the role and of Noah's Ark's expectations of volunteers
- Good communication skills
- Reliability, commitment and engagement
- Initiative and problem-solving skills
- A good level of self-awareness
- Experience of working with children, young people or families is desirable but not essential. We welcome volunteers from all backgrounds with all sorts of skills.
PLEASE NOTE: Volunteers will not have sole responsibility for a child with a life-limiting or life-threatening condition and will not be expected to undertake any personal care or administer medication.
Volunteers would usually commit to visiting a family once a week/fortnight for approx. 1-2 hours, however the frequency and times will vary dependent on a family's needs and a volunteer's availability. Home Support Volunteer roles are available 7 days per week, between 8am-8pm.
Home Support Volunteers are required to complete and return written Support Records following a visit and to attend Supervision (support groups) every 3 months.
It is hoped that volunteers can commit to supporting a family for a minimum of 12 months.
Noah's Ark takes its responsibility for safeguarding the wellbeing of children seriously. This role is subject to an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Application. Two references are also required.
To apply for this role
Please return a completed Volunteer Interest Form (available here) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to Volunteering Team, Noah's Ark Children's Hospice, The Ark, Byng Road, Barnet EN5 4NP.