7 months ago
Healthwatch Wandsworth is looking for volunteers with a keen interest in local Health and Social Care services and helping make sure local people are able to have a say.
The purpose of the role is to support our outreach work, visit community spaces and events to encourage local people to share their feedback about Health and Social Care services. This helps us gather evidence about the needs and experiences of local people that we can later present to those who have the power to change local services.
Our Outreach Volunteer will also need to make sure that people know that they can contact our Information and Signposting service to find out about local Health and Social Care services and to find out how to complain if they are not happy with the service they have received.
A Healthwatch Outreach Volunteer will be invited to accompany our outreach staff in the community and at events.
The role will include:
- Briefly explaining to people what Healthwatch is and what we do.
- Encouraging people to share their views and experiences of local services by helping them to fill in surveys.
- Impartially recording their feedback.
- Encouraging people to sign up to be Healthwatch Wandsworth members, to visit our website, to follow us on social media and to come to our Assembly events.
- You may also be asked to help us find and contact people organising events and community groups, and to help us promote our work and engagement in other ways.
Skills, experience and knowledge:
- Excellent listening skills, spoken communication skills and ability to communicate information clearly, simply and concisely.
- Confidence speaking to people at public events and a proactive approach to encouraging them to share their stories with us.
- Confident and comfortable talking to people who may have a difficult story to share.
- Able to accurately and clearly record information given by others in writing, with good literacy skills.
- Able to build rapport with a wide range of people from diverse backgrounds and ages.
- Able to follow instructions and guidance, knowing when to ask for support when needed, but able to work independently when necessary.
- Recognise that as a volunteer you are not expected to know everything about Healthwatch Wandsworth and our work.
- Confidence to manage the expectations of others and proactively speak to other Healthwatch team members when needed.
- Able to work in a respectful and professional manner.
- Ideally have local knowledge and experience of working with disadvantaged groups.
- On some occasions we may want to complete online surveys using computers, tablets or mobiles so confidence using this kind of equipment after briefing would be desirable, but not essential.
Attitudes and Values:
- Someone patient and reliable.
- Handles information sensitively and with care, with respect and discretion and observes principles of data protection and confidentiality at all times.
- Commitment to promoting equal opportunities and diversity and a non-judgemental approach.
- Respectful approach to others and diplomacy and tact when responding to questions or referring people to Healthwatch Wandsworth staff.
- Upholds impartiality and credibility of Healthwatch Wandsworth's independent status and does not expressing personal views of experiences.
- Enthusiastic team worker.
- Understands and adheres to the volunteer code of conduct.
What will you get from volunteering with Healthwatch Wandsworth?
- The opportunity to acquire new skills, refine old ones and increase your experience and confidence. For example, outreach work, speaking to members of the public and gathering views;
- The chance to meet new people and enjoy new experiences;
- The opportunity to help Healthwatch Wandsworth make a difference in the community;
- Reasonable travel and out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed in accordance with the Healthwatch Expenses Policy.
- Induction and support from a supervisor;
- Supervision will be proportionate to the volunteers' time commitment, a minimum of monthly for the first three months;
- All supervision will be recorded; a formal supervision session will be held annually with the supervisor.
Duration: Flexible, it could be a one off event or multiple events depending on our work plan and the availability of volunteer. Events can be during weekdays, evenings or on weekends. You can discuss and agree these with your volunteer supervisor.
Expenses: Volunteers will be reimbursed reasonable travel expenses, incurred in the course of their work at Healthwatch. You will be expected to complete an expense form and attach your original receipts.
Accountable to: Outreach Supervisor
To apply contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 020 8516 7767 with your CV and cover letter.
Please note: this is an unpaid, voluntary post.
We look forward to hearing from you!