almost 2 years ago
Healthwatch Enter and View member - Role Description
Healthwatch Wandsworth is looking for volunteers with a keen interest in local Health and Social Care issues to join our Enter and View team.
The purpose of the role is to participate in Enter and View activities on a voluntary basis as part of our Enter and View team.
The will include:
- To contribute to preparation for visits to health and social care services by researching and reading background information about the service being visited. (e.g. CQC Report, Website).
- You will visit health and care premises such as hospital wards, GP surgeries or day centres on a pre-arranged basis
- Talk to the service users and staff that you meet on the premises and impartially record their feedback
- Observe and record you notice happening on the premises
- Take notes and write them up to contribute to the final report on the service
- You may also be involved in collating the findings of other team members to produce the final report, conclusions and recommendations (It would be desirable but not essential that you are involved in this part of the activities)
- To contribute to the development of the Enter and View programme.
- To help with your induction process and depending on your personal interests we may ask you if you would like to be involved in our other activities for example, through our outreach and report writing. Information about how our volunteers are involved in this way can be found on our volunteer webpage.
Skills, experience and knowledge:
- Some knowledge and understanding of health and social care service provision. This could be through working in a particular service area or a general understanding/experience as a carer or service user or an interest in this area.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to work within a team.
- Good communication skills and the ability to talk and listen to people from all walks of life.
- Good written English skills to accurately record information given by others and to a level enabling contribution to report writing.
- Experience and skills in drawing together and analysing information from various sources and interviews with service users to produce a report summarising patient experience and views and how the service operates.
- Ability to work at home, researching relevant information, drafting and amending documents.
- Prior knowledge of the Accessible Information Standards would be helpful or we can provide training once in role.
Attitudes and Values:
- Upholds impartiality and credibility of Healthwatch Wandsworth's independence.
- Handles information sensitively and confidentially with respect and discretion and observes principles of data protection.
- Commitment to promoting equal opportunities and a non-judgemental approach.
- Respectful approach to others.
- Willingness to work in a team within an agreed framework as well as take the initiative where necessary to fill gaps.
- Understands and adheres to the volunteer code of conduct.
What you will get from volunteering with us?
- Develop your knowledge and understanding of how health and social care services are planned, delivered and commissioned.
- Develop your skills and increase your confidence working with a range of people from service users and the NHS and council and community organisations.
- Use and develop experience in health and social care, service user engagement, feedback analysis and report writing.
- Help make sure that local people can have a voice in health and social care.
- Become part of our volunteer team and help Healthwatch Wandsworth make a difference in the community.
- Induction and support from a supervisor.
- Where available training or events will be offered to help with the role or learning on the specified topic.
- Reasonable travel and out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed in accordance with the Healthwatch Expenses Policy.
- Support will be proportionate to the volunteers' time commitment.
Duration: One year's commitment as a minimum, as required and dependent on volunteer's preference. Below will give you an idea of time commitment:
Typically there are 4 day team meetings a year (1/2 day each)
Each visit will involve about 2 (2 hour) meetings and 1 visit day (6 hours). After a visit you will write up notes within the two weeks. (You can decide which projects you would like to be involved in before committing)
There may be weeks when you have to spend no time on working with the team and others which can involve several hours of work. The time commitment and dates will be specified during the planning process. There are other volunteer roles with us you may also be interested to be involved with.
An enhanced DBS Check will be required, which we can arrange for you.
Accountable to: Healthwatch Manager and Healthwatch Wandsworth Executive
To apply contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 020 8516 7767 with your CV and cover letter.
Please note: this is an unpaid, voluntary post.
We look forward to hearing from you!