about 1 year ago
Role: Fundraising Events and Communications Volunteer
Location: Lepra, Middleborough, Colchester
Role supervisor: Major Partnerships Manager
Are you passionate about making a real difference? Do you have time to volunteer and help our Fundraising and Communications team? Through volunteering you will gain experience of working in an office environment and within fundraising for an international charity.
Lepra is a UK-based international charity working to beat leprosy, a disease that still affects millions of vulnerable people across the world.
If left untreated leprosy causes life-changing disabilities and stigma that destroys lives. But it is curable and with more support we can help more people to overcome this disease and rebuild their lives.
Last year (2016 - 2017) we reached over 250,000 people directly through diagnosis, treatment and care. We reached a further 1.3 million people through health education and events to raise awareness of disease.
Purpose of the Role
This volunteer role will primarily assist the Major Partnerships Manager and the Marketing and Communications team with creating and delivering fundraising events and support the teams in their administration and research. The role may expand into assisting with other teams, further events and developing opportunities as the need arises.
Key tasks will include
- Assisting with creating and delivering fundraising events
- Providing administrative support for existing events and activities
- Assisting with creating promotional materials in line with Lepra's brand specifications
- Assisting in seeking PR opportunities for Lepra
- Helping to support Lepra's social media activity
- Responding to enquiries about events by phone/email/letter
- Assist with managing guest lists
- Other tasks in support of fundraising and communications as required
Skills and attributes that are of benefit to the role
- Competent computer skills using Microsoft Office - particularly Word, Excel and Outlook
- Good research skills using both internet and libraries
- Competent in the use of social media platforms
- Accuracy and close attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written English skills
- Ability to write clearly and logically
- Effective communicator, confident and personable manner with good people skills
- Pro-active 'Can do' attitude with ability to learn new skills and enjoy being part of a team.
What we can offer you as a volunteer
- You will be directly contributing to Lepra's work and its fight to beat Leprosy
- An insight into how a charity ensures its key messages are communicated and events are created to support fundraising
- The opportunity to develop research and IT skills
- A supportive environment
- Reasonable local travel expenses can be reimbursed
- References provided for future employers
How to apply
Please visit https://www.lepra.org.uk/volunteer to download and complete the volunteer application form and return it to Sara-Jane Smith our Human Resources Manager:
T. +44 (0) 1206 216705