almost 2 years ago
About the role
You will be supporting in our weekly Adult Service (30+) which is a resource for support, information, encouragement and change. Our members can benefit from services including counselling, legal advice and complementary therapies to workshops on the latest HIV treatment, nutrition advice, managing stress, relationships and wider health issues.
As a support service volunteer you will have a range of responsibilites from working 1:1 providing emotional support, co-ordinating workshops or serving dinner. You will build rewarding relationships based on trust, empathy and understanding. You will follow a coaching model that maximises productivity by encouraging self-reflection and independence throughout.
The service runs on Tuesday evenings from 4.30 - 9.15pm at our purpose built centre in Clerkenwell, Islington. It is important that volunteers arrive as close to 4.30pm as possible but we can be flexible in consideration of work commitments. Volunteers are expected to commit on a weekly basis for a minimum of 6 months. All volunteers at Body & Soul will be subject to an advanced DBS disclosure prior to beginning their volunteering.
About Body & Soul
Body & Soul is a charity dedicated to transforming the impact of adverse childhood experiences, supporting people of all ages affected by early childhood trauma like abuse, neglect, violence and family disruption. We deliver a proven transformational programme for people of all ages who have experienced significant childhood adversity. We believe that people should be able to live their lives free from shame, and no one should have their life chances reduced because of traumatic experiences in their past. We also believe that transformational change does not have an age limit.
We are looking for
* Warmth, friendliness and excellent communication skills
* Ability to form strong relationships and discussions with a variety of adults
* Good listening skills and ability to provide one to one emotional support
* A basic knowledge of HIV and the issues our adult member group may face
* Non-judgemental, adaptable and open-minded
* Ability to use own initiative
* Passionate about Body & Soul's aims
In return we will provide
* A full induction/training programme
* Ongoing training from established professionals
* Ongoing support from Head of Volunteer Programmes
* Recognition programme
If you are interested in this position we would love to hear from you so please do send over a brief overview of why you would like to get involved and a CV of your experience to firstname.lastname@example.org