about 1 year ago
UK Emergency Support Services (UKESS), is a registered 'Not For Profit' organisation with wholly charitable purposes. UKESS is headed up by our Managing Director, Mark Hills and was launched in June 2018 with its principle aim to provide reliable and effective practical aid and support to Front Line Emergency Services, Local Authorities and Communities in the event of National Crisis, Public Emergency and Major Incidents.
First Aid is acting as an immediate care giver, ensuring patient safety and if possible stabilising a patient until further clinical help arrives. As a volunteer, working as part of our Medical Team, you will ensure the highest level of care is provided to the people attending or participating in private or public events. As a Medical Team Volunteer, you will be responsible for providing medical services, working to your clinical level and scope of practice to UKESS clients.
This role is for Northamptonshire, Leicestershire or Buckinghamshire, however there may be occasions where we attend events/incidents outside of these counties in which you can opt to support.
You must be at least 18 years of age to apply for this role.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Providing medical care commensurate with your level of professional training
- Provide assistance to colleagues, Healthcare Professionals and the wider emergency services where needed
- Assisting as necessary with the movement of equipment or materials during set up and break down of events
- Ensure that all equipment used is fit for purpose, cleaned and stored in accordance with procedures
- Using communication equipment, if required, in accordance with UKESS guidelines
- Follow all other policies and procedures as implemented within the organisation
- Have due regard to patient confidentiality at all times
- Attend any training as deemed appropriate by UKESS to maintain competency and personal development for the role
- Act in a professional manner at all times whilst representing UKESS, adhering to the staff code of conduct
- Maintain a high standard of appearance, fitness for role and wear the UKESS Uniform with pride ensuring compliance with the standards of dress policy.
- To carry out any other reasonable duties as required by the role.
Qualifications, Skills and Behaviours you will need
- Hold a minimum of a current First Aid at Work certificate (FAW)*
- Capable of undertaking a lift test and a Basic Life Support (CPR) Competency assessment
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Positively represent UKESS and yourself by delivering a high standard of treatment, care, empathy and customer service at all times
- Ensure a smart image and appearance at all times, adhering to the standards of dress policy
- Ability to make balanced decisions and keep calm in an emergency situation
- Ability to maintain a professional approach to confidential and sensitive information
- Ability to use initiative and work independently without direct supervision
- Ability to follow instructions and understanding the importance of thorough and accurate reporting
- Identify and escalate any potential issues to senior staff
- Willingness to travel to multiple locations where needed and work flexibly on weekdays, evenings and weekends is desired
- Ability to complete paperwork that is accurate, legible and allows continuity of care
- Ability to verbally defuse hostile situations
*To volunteer with our Medical Team, you will be required to hold a minimum of a First Aid at Work certificate. If you do not possess this and wish to become an Event First Aider/Medic, UKESS can provide Accredited First Aid training and certification at a reduced cost, provided on a contractual agreement basis. Please note that you will not be permitted into the field until you are trained and qualified to the minimum standard required by UKESS.
The position is offered on a flexible basis with no fixed term or hours, allowing you to give as much or as little time as you want. Whether your volunteering journey with us is long or short we are transparent about our commitment to you and what we expect from our volunteers.
Our volunteer recruitment process is as follows:
- Apply for the role online at https://form.jotformeu.com/ukemergencysupport/volunteerapplication. Alternatively, you may contact us to request for a paper application to be sent to your address.
- You will be contacted by a member of the team to conduct an initial screening
- You will be invited to an informal face to face interview, which can be mutually agreed to be undertaken via video calling or in person
- You will be informed of our decision and then invited to attend an induction day, which must be completed before you can be formally appointed as a volunteer for UKESS. As part of your induction day you will be required to provide evidence of your Enhanced DBS check, identification and address verification.
- You will be invited to attend a training day/exercise (if this is required by the role)