about 1 year ago
The First Step seeks a Female Chair…..could this be you?
The First Step (TFS) is looking for a committed female trustee who would be willing to take on the role of Chair after six months of service on the Board of Trustees.
Our Board of Trustees ensures good governance in meeting our legal and financial obligations and supports the Chief Executive and senior team to achieve our vision.
The role of chair is a rewarding one, whilst making a real difference to the lives of local people affected by domestic abuse. We welcome interest from any woman from any background who can make a strong commitment to The First Step, devote the necessary time and display strategic vision.
It is important to have a genuine interest in ensuring members of the community affected by domestic abuse have access to appropriate, quality, specialist services.
Based in Knowsley, Merseyside, The First Step is a specialist charity with over 20 years of experience providing high quality bespoke services to people affected by domestic abuse enabling them to achieve freedom from domestic violence & abuse.
Our services include working with victim/survivors living in the community and women and children living in our refuge. We employ 19 staff plus bank staff and volunteers.
- Provides leadership and direction to the Board of Trustees and enables the Board to fulfil their responsibilities for the overall governance and strategic direction of TFS
- Ensures TFS pursues its objectives as defined in its governing documents, charity law, company law and other relevant legislation and regulations
- Works in partnership with the Chief Executive helping to achieve the aims of the organisation
- Facilitates the Board of Trustees to achieve good and carefully considered strategic decision making
- The time commitment is around 8 hours every 2 months. The Chair is expected to attend bi monthly Board meetings plus email and telephone contact will be necessary
- It is important that the Chair is able to visit TFS offices in Knowsley and be available to the Chief Executive on a regular basis.
The role is unpaid although travelling expenses can be refunded.
The successful candidate will be expected to serve as a trustee for 6 months or until the next AGM before being confirmed as chair. This is to ensure there is time to gain an understanding of The First Step.
If you feel you have the right skills and would like more information, please email the Chief Executive on email@example.com with your contact details and she can send you the link to the application pack and information on our website.
The Charity Commission also give a good overview of a Trustee's role at:
Closing date for applications is 16th March 2018.
Information about our agency is available on our website at: