over 1 year ago
Steel Bones helps amputee families thrive, helped by a proactive supportive peer community. The support we provide empowers the amputee and their family helping in moments of stress, crisis and trauma. Together with signposting families to all relevant services and support available to them as it can be very complicated and confusing particularly in crisis mode. Steel Bones has a year round calendar of regular social events for amputees and their families. Passionate about inspiring the next generation and the wider public to be fully inclusive, Steel Bones provides engaging awareness workshops for primary schools and publishes children's books featuring amputee families in settings familiar to all readers, young and old.
Volunteers are the lifeblood of Steel Bones' life. We have key roles which our volunteers have helped with and made a fantastic and brilliant impact on empowering amputee families. When join Steel Bones as volunteer we'll give you full training and support, lots of appreciation and valuable skills and training - as well as a good variety of snacks. There is also a quarterly thank you event in which we invite all our volunteers to join us for tea, coffee and cake.
- Enjoy socialising
- Have a passion to make a difference
- Are Team Players
- Have positive, friendly outlook on life
FAMILY SUPPORT VOLUNTEER: RESPONSIBILITIES
As a Family Support Volunteer, you'll play an active role in working with amputee families 121. You'll be supported by the Steel Bones Development Manager, who will help you develop your family support skills. With your knowledge and experience as a mum, dad, grandparent or carer, or amputee yourself, you could be the vital support a family needs and make a big difference to their lives.
Some of our families may be dealing with a variety of difficulties including; isolation, physical and mental health problems, bereavement, financial worries or relationship difficulties.
Your role will be to support them in the way that they want; coffee catch ups, helping them to get organised, book appointments, follow up on appointments. It could also involve offering advice and sharing experiences; or supporting amputees through emotional issues.
Requirements of the role
- Personal experience of amputation
- parenting or caring experience
- commit to our training and supervision programme
- undergo referencing and an enhanced criminal records check
- understand that support provided to families is completely confidential
- have a non-judgemental attitude and understand about the pressure of bringing up a family
- Be computer literate with excel
- Be comfortable speaking on the phone or using email
What to expect from Steel Bones
- Training and Induction to ensure you feel fully equipped to support us.
- Ongoing support and advice from Steel Bones Development Manager throughout your work with the families.
- You will also be given a bi monthly supervision session with our Coach
- Impressive skills and experiences to add to your CV and a reference if/when you need it.
- Reasonable Travel expenses will be reimbursed each month, with proof of travel.
- The opportunity to meet a network of like-minded people.
- A fun, creative volunteer experience, contributing to a community-led project.
To apply, please register your details here: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/JM7F33F