about 2 months ago
UK Emergency Support Services (UKESS), is a registered 'Not For Profit' organisation with wholly charitable purposes. UKESS is headed up by our Managing Director, Mark Hills and was launched in June 2018 with its principle aim to provide reliable and effective practical aid and support to Front Line Emergency Services, Local Authorities and Communities in the event of National Crisis, Public Emergency and Major Incidents.
Stewards and marshals perform a vital role as the public face of an event, ensuring that our customers have an enjoyable and positive experience. Stewards and Marshals help the event to maintain a high level of customer care and provide practical assistance both inside and outside the venue.
As a steward/Marshal you will be expected to act professional, courteous and attentive toward the public. You will be expected to get to know your surroundings as you will be a point of contact for the public, as well as being aware of issues such as medical emergencies, fire emergencies and aggressive/intoxicated behaviour. You will need to be able to relay important information to event personnel and may include the use of radio communication. The role involves walking, standing and bending and may also involve lifting and carrying heavy items.
This role is for Northamptonshire, Leicestershire or Buckinghamshire.
You must be at least 16 years of age to apply for this role.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Control entry/exit and movement of people at events
- Prevent unauthorised access to the site and restricted areas by public
- Provide traffic management and parking marshalling services
- Provide assistance to customers at the event
- Monitor spectators and deal with crowd problems (including managing conflict)
- Deal with incidents and emergencies and if necessary provide assistance and support to the emergency services in the event of a major incident.
- Report any anti-social behaviour, illegal activity or perceived dangers to the supervisor
- Provide updates relating to stewarding issues within your area to the supervisor
- Ensure the health and well-being of all customers
- Provide excellent customer services
- Take responsibility for reporting any incidents which could affect the safety of customers and staff at the event
- Assisting as necessary with the movement of equipment or materials during set up and break down of events
- Using communication equipment, if required, in accordance with UKESS guidelines
- Act in a professional manner at all times whilst representing UKESS
- Maintain a high standard of appearance and wear the UKESS Uniform with pride ensuring compliance with the standards of dress policy, including the correct wearing of personal protective equipment
- Carry out all duties outlined in the Event Assignment Instructions
Qualifications, Skills and behaviours you will need
- Physically and mentally fit
- Ability to work as a team in a public facing environment
- Flexible can-do attitude with an approachable and enthusiastic manner
- Ability to work long hours
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to communicate effectively at all levels
- Positively represent UKESS and yourself by delivering a high standard of service at all times
- Ensure a smart image and appearance at all times, adhering to the standards of dress policy
- Ability to make balanced decisions and keep calm in an emergency situation
- Ability to use initiative and work independently without direct supervision
- Ability to follow instructions and understanding of the importance of thorough and accurate reporting
- Ability to verbally defuse hostile situations
If you are successful in your application, you will be;
- required to provide a copy of your Enhanced DBS check, or complete an application for one
- required to provide two references
- required to sign a volunteer, confidentiality, data protection and radio communications agreement
- provided with a full induction and ongoing supervision and support meetings
- provided with relevant training
Our volunteer recruitment process is as follows:
- Apply for the role online at https://form.jotformeu.com/ukemergencysupport/volunteerapplication Alternatively, you may contact us to request for a paper application to be sent to your address.
- You will be contacted by a member of the team to conduct an initial screening
- You will be invited to an informal face to face interview, which can be mutually agreed to be undertaken via video calling or in person
- You will be informed of our decision and then invited to attend an induction day, which must be completed before you can be formally appointed as a volunteer for UKESS. As part of your induction day you will be required to provide evidence of your Enhanced DBS check, identification and address verification.
- You will be invited to attend a training day/exercise (if this is required by the role)