over 3 years ago
ICYE UK is a youth-led organisation and we are now seeking to appoint a new Driving Change Trustee and Vice Chair to join our enthusiastic and diverse board. As Vice Chair, you will be responsible for overseeing the strategic/financial direction and governance of ICYE UK with five existing board members and four new board members.
Inter Cultural Youth Exchange UK (ICYE UK) was set up in 1993 to promote inter-cultural understanding, peace and cooperation. We believe that local community action can have a global reach and positively affect the world we live in. ICYE UK is part of a federation of over 30 countries and promotes intercultural exchange and understanding as well as investing in young people through voluntary placements overseas, including social and environmental projects in a range of countries in South America, Africa and Asia. We also believe in the importance of reciprocal exchange and host roughly 50 international volunteers in the UK every year.
ICYE UK is a membership charity, whereby its AGM elects the following Trustees: Chair, Secretary, Treasurer and five additional Trustees (soon to be six) on a cycle. We have the flexibility to co-opt up to two Trustees, where the roles do not need to be voted in by membership. However, successful applicants will need to be able to attend the AGM on Saturday 11th November 2017.
Roles and Responsibilities
The volunteering landscape is ever evolving, and we strive to stay at the forefront of the sector. This means continually looking at our processes and procedures to ensure we meet our goals. Applicants for this position will support innovation and inspiration, looking at how best we offer all of our functions, from Operations to Learning and Development and Partnership Engagement. Previous experience in digital or mergers and partnership management will be advantageous. This role will also support the Chair in stepping in to lead board meetings where necessary and support the role of the Chair as a whole.
Trustees may serve for up to four terms of two years each.
ICYE UK uses Skype and emails wherever possible. Trustees will be expected to attend 6 board meetings in London and sub-committee meetings where applicable, along with two Staff/Trustee away days and the AGM on the 11th November 2017.
As a board, ICYE UK's shared aims are to act in all of the following capacities:
- Advisory: Providing free expert advice/management expertise.
- Regulatory: Ensuring probity and managing regulatory and financial risks
- Democratic: Contributing to the resolution of various stakeholder interests and accepting responsibility for the direction and strategy of ICYE
- Educational: Providing opportunities for debate, learning and sharing of expertise
- Participatory: Engage volunteers in the on-going development of the organisation- (as per ICYE mission)
- Networking: Being ambassadors, linking to contacts, shaping and influencing others
- Involving: Motivating skilled volunteers
- Visionary: Adding missionary zeal, bringing passion to the mission
- Leadership: Steering the organisation in the right direction, with an emphasis on embedded the ICYE vision, mission and values into the ICYE way of doing things
- Supportive: Supporting, valuing and rewarding the Office manager and Staff
- The ideal Trustee will be able to support in acting out the above capacities in collaboration with the board. Knowledge and experience of governance and management within an international volunteering charity, or other governance and management experience that is applicable to the post and sector would be advantageous but training and development will be provided.
- You will be committed and driven by ICYE UK's values and vision, and committed to understanding the importance of cultural exchange in education and personal development.
Please apply by sending your CV and a cover letter to Cleo Graham, Trustee at email@example.com by 11th October. Successful candidates will be invited to attend the AGM on the 11th November and voted in through an election process by the membership or co-opted prior to the AGM.