3 months ago
icandance is a charity which offers dance and performance opportunities to children and young people, with varying disabilities, aged 4 to 25 years old.
A dance session volunteer will:
- Volunteer within a multi-disciplinary team
- Volunteer 1:1 with an individual child to enable them to access dance
- Support all forms of communication, both verbal and non-verbal, to allow children to fully participate
- Address behavioural needs, being sensitive to what is happening in the moment
- Build a relationship with your allocated child, allowing a sense of safety and an environment for growth and fun
- Be able to work with a wide range of disabilities including wheelchair users
- Communicate clearly and professionally with parents, team members and other agencies when needed
- Attend team meetings, supervision sessions and trainings
- Contribute to the monitoring and evaluation of each allocated child and be up-to-date with all necessary information regarding each child.
As a regular volunteer at icandance, you will receive:
- The opportunity to learn from a multi-disciplinary team which includes dance movement psychotherapists, choreographers, education practitioners, disability specialists, and theatre practitioners.
- Learning and development opportunities through our volunteer learning and mentoring programme which includes accredited trainings.
- Supervision and reflection opportunities on a one-to-one basis and as part of the team.
- The chance to volunteer at special events, and one-off opportunities.
- Have qualifications, experience or an interest in working with children/young people with disabilities
- Sensitive to the needs and challenges of children with disabilities and their families
- Be fun, energetic and comfortable to work with dance, though no prior dance experience is required
- Have a good command of the English language/communication skills
- Ability to work within a team
- Be prepared to have an Enhanced DBS check
- Working knowledge of BSL, Makaton, PECS or other communication aids
- Attendance of other specialist training
- A good level of self-awareness
- A first aid certificate and safeguarding training
- Experience of working in schools
How to apply
Please email email@example.com for more information on how to apply for the role.