Up to £18.16 per hour
about 1 year ago
3 months approx
Debt and Welfare Advice Officer - Temporary
Our client a leading housing association are seeking an experienced Debt & Welfare Advice Officer to join the team on a temporary basis ASAP
Provide budgeting, income maximisation, banking, and fuel poverty & debt advice to enable customers to successfully maintain their tenancy. Assess new and potential residents prior to sign up for affordability for lettings and allocations, prevention of evictions. Management of admin, diary, debt advice, working with creditors, strategies for non-priority debts. Liaise with housing benefits and DWP to ensure correct awards and negotiate clawback rates for budgeting loans and various overpayments.
Assist customers with obtaining Universal Credit and with the transition to Universal Credit from Housing Benefit. Provide advice including legacy benefits, pensions, disability benefits for children, working age adults and those over the retirement age and student debts. Referrals for work training programmes, Discretionary Housing payments and appropriate grant applications to 3rd party charities and organisations. Assist residents with PIP Claims and Tribunals.
The role would be mainly working from home (a laptop would be provided), visiting head office in Croydon once a week along with the Manager to retrieve files and have some socially distanced meetings would be appropriate initially.
- Proven experience of advice and advocacy in the area of Welfare Benefits entitlement and/or Financial Inclusion
- Ability to carry casework through to its conclusion independently and maintain accurate records using computerised recording systems.
- Ability to represent at external meetings with benefit agencies and external parties including DWP, local authorities and charities
- Knowledge of debt advice, budgeting, and tenancy sustainment assistance
- Ability to develop benefit maximisation campaigns and publicity/information initiatives
- To be confident and competent to lone work in customers' homes
- Full UK Driving Licence
Debt and Welfare Advice Officer
A standard DBS would be required.
The role covers the areas of Croydon, Sutton and Bromley.
35hrs per week (with 1-hour unpaid lunch break)
The hourly rate is: £18.16
3 months approx.