7 months ago
At Rennie Grove Hospice Care, we're all about making every moment matter for our patients and families, and you can play your part in that. We provide care and support for adults and children diagnosed with cancer and other life-limiting illness, and their families, visiting day and night. It's important work and, to make it all happen, we need enthusiastic and committed volunteers.
Description of the role
Trustees are responsible for overall governance and directing how Rennie Grove is run in accordance with legal and regulatory guidelines. Collectively the trustees represent skills and experience in healthcare, financial management, income generation and funding, commercial trading, HR management, IT and digital technology and law. This particular role would bring additional senior level experience to help the Board of Trustees reach sound decisions relating to Governance and the law.
Key areas of responsibility for this Trustee role
All Trustees are expected to have skills and experience from their professional background and for Company Secretary/Governance Trustee the following are examples of some of the areas of responsibility:
- Oversee and periodically review the overall governance framework for the organisation; ensure it is fit for purpose and provides clearly accountable decision making and oversight.
- Arrange secretariat attendance at all Board, Committee and Subsidiary meetings in conjunction with the charity's executive, ensuring provision of advice to the Chair and the members on governance and regulatory matters.
- Management of the AGM, including preparation of the Notice and ancillary documentation.
- Provide guidance and support on regulatory, statutory and corporate governance matters, to ensure Rennie Grove remains compliant with all material requirements, and proactively support implementation of new statutory and regulatory requirements on an ongoing basis.
- Oversee processes for all filing arrangements / annual returns with relevant statutory registrations, regulators and government bodies undertaken by Rennie Grove's executive.
Key skills and experience for all Trustees
- Strategic vision, business planning and exercise sound independent judgment
- Skilled at networking and relationship building and ability to act as an ambassador for Rennie Grove
- Ability to understand and accept the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities as a trustees
- Willingness to become an active member of sub-committees, as required
- Determination and enthusiasm to contribute fully to the developments within the charity
- Commitment to Rennie Grove mission and aims.
This appointment requires a commitment to Rennie Grove to attend six evening meetings of the Board of Trustees and six morning meetings of the Finance, Risk and Operations Committee each year. In addition, the successful applicant would convene/chair the Governance Committee meetings held three times a year.
General roles and responsibilities of all Rennie Grove Trustees
- To be accountable for ensuring that Rennie Grove complies with its governing documents, charity and company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations
- To ensure that Rennie Grove pursues its charitable objects as defined in its governing documents
- To ensure that Rennie Grove applies its resources exclusively in furtherance of its objectives, while working flexibly to meet the changing needs of its beneficiaries
- To contribute actively to the Board of Trustees' role of giving firm strategic direction to the charity, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets and standards
- To act with integrity, and avoid any personal conflicts of interest or misuse of charity funds or assets and to act in the best interests of the Charity and its beneficiaries, to safeguard the good name and values of Rennie Grove
- To ensure the financial stability of Rennie Grove and to ensure that risks to which Rennie Grove is exposed are properly assessed and managed
- To ensure the property and assets of the charity are properly utilised, managed and accounted for, and that the charity's funds are appropriately managed and invested
- In conjunction with the other trustees to appoint, support and monitor the performance of the Chief Executive
- To use reasonable care and skill in their work as trustees, using their personal skills and experience as needed and use any specific knowledge or experience to help the Board of Trustees reach sound decisions, to ensure that the charity is well-run and efficient and ensure external professional advice is sought where necessary
- In conjunction with the other trustees to ensure that delegated responsibilities are met
- To represent Rennie Grove at external meetings and to support fundraising initiatives where possible.
If you are interested in exploring this role further, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and someone will call you for a chat.