Reasonable expenses reimbursed
8 months ago
min 6 months
Role title: Community Volunteer Driver
Remuneration: Unpaid (approved expenses reimbursed)
Commitment: Flexible - regular or ad hoc - dependent on your availability - 6 months commitment required
Location: Southwark, including SE5, SE15, SE17, SE19, SE21, SE22, SE24
Reporting to: Volunteer Coordinators
About Link Age Southwark
Link Age Southwark provides friendly volunteer support to older people in Southwark. We provide oneto-one befriending, run activity groups across the Borough, provide practical support such as light gardening or helping with small odd jobs in the home, provide volunteer transport and organise intergenerational work with local schools. Our services are free to people in Southwark aged 60+ and we currently support over 500 older people.
We help to alleviate loneliness and support social networks which improve older people's quality of life.
We simply couldn't support so many older people in our local community without our fantastic 300+ volunteers! See our short film we had made by a volunteer film-maker on our website:
About the role of Community Volunteer Driver
One of the largest challenges for many older people in Southwark is access to suitable transport to keep them connected with their local community. Services exist to help them get to hospital and doctors' appointments, but for social events transport options are limited. This is especially challenging as mobility starts to be restricted and confidence in physical fitness begins to wane. Our volunteer drivers provide a highly valued service Monday to Friday, daytime, across the following areas:
- transport to and from Link Age Southwark group activities
- transport to and from Link Age Southwark social activities
- transport to and from other appointments and activities in the community, such as a hairdressing appointment, collecting a pension, visiting a friend in a care home.
Volunteer drivers provide more than a car journey - they enable people to get out of their houses, see their local area and remain in touch with their local community and make and maintain friendships.
Responsibilities and requirements:
- own car, full and clean driving licence, suitable insurance cover (most insurance companies are charity friendly - we can help verify your car use if required)
- ensure the vehicle you are driving is safe and legal
- cheerful and friendly personality
- good spoken English and communication
- ensure sufficient fitness to drive, and inform Link Age Southwark about any issue that may affect your driving ability
- reliability, honesty and good timekeeping
- attendance at our induction and relevant training
- complete a full DBS and references check
- be empathetic towards the needs of older people, in particular those with mobility issues
- maintain contact with Link Age Southwark
- understanding and commitment to working within the policies of Link Age Southwark, in particular health and safety, confidentiality, safeguarding and equality and diversity.
What's in it for you?
This is a rewarding role on a number of levels:
- you will be gaining a new experience in your local community, joining and getting to know an older person and a great team of Link Age Southwark volunteers and staff
- you will be playing a vital part in easing loneliness of an older person and help them get the best from life
- you will receive a full induction from the charity as well as opportunities to take part in relevant training and ongoing support from Link Age Southwark
- you will be entitled to claim reasonable expenses
- your CV will be enhanced and we can provide references after you have completed 4 months in a volunteering role with Link Age Southwark
How do I apply?
We would be delighted if you are interested in joining us as a volunteer driver. Please visit www.linkagesouthwark.org/volunteering to download and complete an application form and return it to email@example.com. Alternatively call 020 8299 2623 and we will send you a full application pack.