about 1 year ago
Role: Lepra Communications Support Volunteer
Location: Colchester Office
Requirement: We ask for a minimum of 6 hours a week
Role supervisor: Marketing and Communications Manager
Are you passionate about making a real difference? Would you like to volunteer and help our Communications team? Through volunteering you will gain experience of participating in a professional communications environment, helping to build the profile of an international charity.
Lepra works to beat leprosy, a disease that still affects millions of vulnerable people across the world.
If left untreated leprosy causes life-changing disabilities and stigma that destroys lives. But it is curable, and with more support we can help more people to overcome this disease and rebuild their lives.
Last year (2016 - 2017) we reached nearly 252,000 people directly through diagnosis, treatment and care. We reached a further 1.3 million people through health education and events to raise awareness of disease.
Purpose of the Role
This volunteer role will primarily assist the Marketing and Communications team with creating content to support various campaigns and activities, including website content, and press releases/editorial to increase awareness of leprosy and Lepra in the UK. By simply raising awareness you can help us to build support for people affected by leprosy, helping us to beat this devastating disease.
- Assisting with the creation of written content for Lepra's website, blog and social media, press releases and editorial
- Sourcing relevant stories and ideas
- Researching various topics and themes and reporting on findings
- Collating information from various sources into reports/articles
- Sourcing images
- Updating and writing case studies and updating the case study directory
- Cataloguing images in our database
Skills and attributes that are of benefit to the role
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience of using Microsoft Excel
- Experience of using the internet
- Professional approach to work
- Ability to think creatively and flexibly to make the most appropriate use of content
- An interest in International development
What we can offer you as a volunteer
- You will be directly contributing to Lepra's work and its fight against leprosy
- The opportunity to develop social media skills
- A supportive environment
- References provided for future employers
- Expenses for travel
How to apply
Please visit https://www.lepra.org.uk/volunteer to download and complete the volunteer application form and return it to Sara-Jane Smith our Human Resources Manager:
T. +44 (0) 1206 216705