14 days ago
Citizens Advice Adviser - Runnymede and Spelthorne
Runnymede & Spelthorne Citizens Advice need volunteer advisers for our Addlestone and Sunbury Offices. Citizens Advice Runnymede and Spelthorne helps over 4000 people every year with over 12,000 problems. We work in the two most deprived boroughs in Surrey. Our aim is to provide the advice people need for the challenges they may face. You will be making a real difference in people's lives and will be part of a happy team of volunteers and staff. All sorts of people volunteer as Citizens Advice advisers. Here are some of the things they have in common:
- Have good listening, verbal and written communication skills
- Can work in a team
- Are open-minded and don't judge people or their circumstances
- Enjoy helping all kinds of people
- Be prepared to commit around 1 day each week
Do I need special qualifications or experience to become an Adviser?
No! The adviser training programme and AdviserNet, our web-based information system, will give you a great start.
What does an Adviser do?
The role of a Citizen's Advice adviser is varied.
- Take clients through the advice process from start to finish, undertaking casework across the full spectrum of Citizens Advice enquiry areas
- Speak to the clients over the phone or in person and explore the problems they've come for help with
- Find information about the clients' problem and help them to understand their options
- Explain the choices the client faces, and what these choices mean
- Offer practical help to clients by writing letters, making phone calls and helping fill in forms
- Perform calculations (for example, to assess entitlement to certain kinds of benefits)
- Refer clients to other agencies if they are better placed to help
- Keep records of all clients' cases
- Look out for problems that are common, or are unfair, and write a short report about the problem
To apply either visit https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/local/runnymede-spelthorne/volunteer/ or contact Citizens Advice Runnymede and Spelthorne at firstname.lastname@example.org