£35k - 39k per year
about 2 years ago
A leading mental health charity based in Tipton (West Midlands) are seeking an experienced accountant with expert knowledge of charity tax and VAT for an important new role.
The role will involve:
- The Tax Accountant is an important role in the centralised Finance team that comprises approximately 20 staff and provides support to an organisation with a total turnover of approximately £34m.
- As Tax Accountant you will be responsible for accurate tax reporting and advising on relevant changes to legislation or tax issues that affect the Charity and subsidiary companies.
- The post holder will ensure that cost centres are correctly allocated to the parent or subsidiary company; ensuring that the terms of our service contracts allow for maximum VAT recovery. You will administer the VAT claims and be responsible for all subsidiary company accounts. Additionally you will ensure all invoices are correctly issued in terms of VAT charged. They will contribute to the work of the wider finance team; and ensure monthly reports are accurate and that the annual accounts are produced in accordance with Year End timescales
- To lead on the technical aspects of the Charity’s VAT recovery ensuring that the Organisation maximises VAT recovery via the operation of a trading subsidiary.
- To provide guidance and develop systems within the Agresso accounts system is order to aid VAT recovery efficiently
- Assists in development, testing and implementation of new workflows and procedures to accommodate system or HMRC form or process changes.
- To negotiate directly or advise Heads of Services / Funded Project Leads on how to amend contracts to maximise VAT recovery
- Be the primary point of contact and responsible for managing the relationship with HMRC and external auditors in relation to VAT
-Qualified Accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA) or recognised tax qualification
- Comprehensive understanding of VAT accounting and HMRC rules and regulations
- Experience in finance accounting in an organisation with a turnover of more than £10m and that has subsidiary companies
- Experience of VAT accounting and recovery issues in a large charity or public sector body
- Preferable experience of Agresso ledger system. Experience of SQL databases and reporting queries
- An interest in supporting mental illness / mental health
We value diversity at TPP and welcome applications from all sections of the community.