Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
3 months ago
Harry's Rainbow is a child bereavement charity, supporting beneficiaries in Milton Keynes and surrounding areas. The support we offer ranges from the provision of books, resources and memory boxes to regular support groups which are designed to facilitate contact with others who have suffered a bereavement. Activities and trips are designed to support children through their grief by building self-esteem and confidence and reducing feelings of isolation and loneliness.
We think very highly of our volunteers as they bring crucial support to our charity and teams. Our volunteers receive uniform, ID badge and are encouraged to claim out of pocket expenses. We hold both an annual induction for volunteers and an annual celebration of our volunteers and depending upon the role, we also provide necessary training courses and DBS checks.
The board believes this is a great opportunity to give a little something back to the local community, particularly to a smaller charity and support its growth. Running Harrys Rainbow Charitable Trust brings new challenges, including the need to ensure we continually provide enjoyable and fulfilling experiences for all our beneficiaries and generating enough income to sustain the future of our charity.
Main Purpose of the Role
The role of Chair/Trustee is to serve on the governing body of the charity in order to govern and be ultimately responsible for its management and administration. There are several aspects of the role, from mapping out the strategic direction of the charity in accordance with the framework set out in the charities governing document, to ensuring that they do not benefit financially from their position.
Together with the board, agree the charity's vision, values and reputation and lead by example, requiring anyone representing the charity to reflect its values positively.
The Chair will ensure that the organisation complies with its constitution, charity law, company law and any other relevant legislation or regulations and to make sure that the organisation pursues its objects as defined in its governing document.
The Chair's role is also to liaise with the CEO and Family Liaison Officer to help them achieve the aims of the organisation; and to optimise the relationship between the board of Trustees and the staff.
As a Trustee of The Harry's Rainbow Charitable Trust, you will be asked to use your personal skills and experience as needed to ensure that the charity is run efficiently and effectively.
The Chair must consider external professional advice on matters where there may be material risk to The Harry's Rainbow Charitable Trust, or where the trustees may be in breach of their duties.
Key Activities include:
- Take the lead on ensuring that trustees comply with their duties and the charity is well governed.
- Attend at least 75% of regularly held board meetings.
- Attend additional 'emergency' meetings where necessary.
- Attend fundraising events throughout the year in addition to the charities major event - Jessica's Rainbow Run.
- Coordinate the AGM, which is normally held in November.
- Report any problems, personal concerns or absence to the Secretary.
- Report any conflict of interest to the Secretary as soon as possible.
- Ensure the Charity is compliant with relevant legislation, as well as the requirements of regulatory bodies such as the Charity Commission.
- Adhere to the charity's own Code of Conduct.
- Ensure all Charity's activities adhere to its charitable objectives or governing document.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate how they meet the following essential criteria:
- Experience of leading Boards/Committees or senior executive groups.
- A strong strategic leadership track record with the ability to foster credibility through both personality and experience.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of good governance and strong financial acumen.
- Strong stakeholder management skills, with the ability to operate effectively
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) including the ability to balance the need to speak candidly with tact and diplomacy.
- The ability to manage and maintain successful relationships in order to raise the profile of an organisation.
- Commitment to the organisation.
- Integrity, strategic vision and good/independent judgement.
- A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to their duties as Chair and Trustee.
- Ability to take decisions for the good of the organisation.
- Willingness to share your views and listen to the views of others.
- Ability to lead and work effectively as a member of a team.
- Understanding of the legal responsibilities and liabilities of a Trustee
In addition to the essential criteria required for this role, HRT would be interested to hear from candidates with expertise in one or more of the following:
- Experience of working within a charitable organisation.
- Experience of fundraising and attracting sponsorship.
If you feel that you can provide good leadership and direction to Harrys Rainbow Trust and have the time and enthusiasm to take on this rewarding role please apply by emailing your CV to Jane Leggatt HR Trustee at firstname.lastname@example.org