over 2 years ago
The Royal Medical Benevolent Fund is the leading UK charity for doctors, medical students and their families. This year we are celebrating 180 years of providing support, money advice and information when it is most needed due to age, ill health, disability or bereavement.
The Chair takes the strategic lead for the organisation. The main duties are:
• To lead the board in ensuring that it fulfils its responsibilities for the governance of the organisation by ensuring that the organisation acts in accordance with its constitution and by managing its activities
• To work in partnership with the Chief Executive helping him to achieve the mission of the organisation
• To optimise the relationship between the board and staff/volunteers.
• With the CEO, to take a leadership role in promoting the organisation, representing the organisation effectively to external stakeholders.
We are looking for someone of stature and standing in the medical profession, who can help us to grow our reach and impact in supporting doctors and medical students in difficulty. The Chair will also need to understand the responsibilities of governance and be able to relate to and work well with the CEO, staff and volunteers.
Key personal qualities would include altruism, a sense of humour, the capacity to lead and a collaborative approach.
The time commitment required of the Chair, RMBF Board is approximately three to four days a month, although there is a level of flexibility, and much can be done by email.
The post includes the following commitments:
- Chairing four Board Meetings per year (held in Central London)
- Attending three Finance Committee meetings, plus the annual AGM, Compliance and Staffing Committee meetings which all take place on the same day as the Board
- Attending Case Committee (held every 2 months) where possible, and which takes place at RMBF’s offices in Wimbledon, SW19
- Attending regional volunteer events as needed.
We value diversity at TPP and welcome applications from all sections of the community.