West Midlands, England
20 days ago
Adoption UK is seeking a new chair of trustees to oversee the implementation of our strategy and help us increase our impact and influence. The chair should be committed to helping adoptive families build brighter futures.
Main duties and responsibilities
In addition to the general duties and responsibilities of a trustee, the chair will:
- Plan the annual cycle of board meetings, in conjunction with the chief executive
- Set agendas for board meetings, in conjunction with the chief executive
- Chair and facilitate board meetings
- Give direction to board policy making
- Bring impartiality and objectivity to decision-making
- Represent the organisation at functions and meetings and act as a spokesperson as appropriate
- Meet regularly with the chief executive in order to gain an overview of the organisation's affairs and operation and for the purposes of providing support
- Liaise with the chief executive to develop the board of trustees
- Act as a conduit for formal and informal communication between the board of trustees and the chief executive
- Facilitate change and address conflict within the board and within the organisation, liaising with the chief executive to achieve this
- Lead the process of appraising the performance of the chief executive
- Sit on selection, disciplinary, grievances and complaints panels, as necessary, and in particular where the appointment of new trustees is concerned
- Support the organisation's overall development
The board meets four times a year, currently in Birmingham or Banbury, between 10.30am and 3.30pm. The role of chair is not remunerated, but expenses will be paid. The time commitment is a minimum of 10 days per year.
You will also be invited to attend Adoption UK events and the annual conference. The chair may wish to take advantage of opportunities for deeper involvement in relevant areas of the charity's work.
We are committed to inclusivity and welcome applications from all backgrounds. We encourage applications from people who have an interest in adoption.
Shortlisted applicants will be interviewed by members of our board of trustees and appointments will be made on merit.
How to apply
To express an interest or apply for the role, please contact Jacquie Joy at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone her on 07817 040 353.