7 months ago
Chair of the Hospice Lottery Partnership Board
Reporting to: The Board of Directors
Responsible for: Board of Directors, Staff and Volunteers
Relationships: Fellow Directors, Chief Executive
Aims of the Hospice Lottery Partnership (HLP)
HLP is a not-for-profit social enterprise company established in 1997 which operates in the Home Counties and is wholly owned by 5 hospices. We have beneficiary partners in the Hospice and Hospital sectors.
HLP's primary objective is to raise sustainable funds for the participating partners by operating a cause-led lottery. This essential funding is used to provide care for thousands of patients and families who are supported by partner hospices and hospitals. HLP is in a growth phase seeking additional beneficiary partners in order to increase income in the medium term.
Overall Purpose of the Chair Role
- To provide leadership and direction to the Board of Directors, enabling them to fulfil their responsibilities in the overall governance and strategic direction of the company.
- To develop the HLP's aims, objectives and goals in accordance with the company's Articles, legal and regulatory practices.
The Non-Executive Chair will work in partnership with the Chief Executive to ensure that the Board's decisions are acted upon and that the company is managed in an effective manner.
- Providing support to the Chief Executive and ensuring that the company is run in accordance with decisions of the Directors.
- Leading the Directors and management team to develop strategic plans for the company, that will in turn lead to a sustainable growth in unrestricted income for the charity partners.
- Ensuring compliance with the company's Articles and the legal requirements of the Gambling Commission and other regulatory authorities.
- Constructively appraise management reports, financial information and risks.
- Liaising with the Chief Executive to set agendas for Board Meetings, the AGM and annual away days, and ensuring that the business is covered efficiently and effectively at those meetings.
- Undertaking a leadership role in ensuring that the Board of Directors fulfils its responsibilities for the governance of the company, and in particular supporting the independent Directors.
- The HLP Chief Executive reports to Chair, who carries out an annual appraisal on behalf of the Board.
- Chairing Board meetings and AGMs
- Ensuring Board decisions are acted upon in a timely manner
- Supporting and appraising the work of the Chief Executive
- Leading disciplinary and appointment processes as required
- Representing HLP and networking at appropriate functions, meetings and in the media
- Acting between full meetings of the Board in authorising actions taken in accordance with the scheme of delegation
- Ensuring the effectiveness and engagement of the Board and its Directors in supporting the aims and objectives of HLP
- Attending and supporting the work of Board Committees where appropriate
- Liaising with the Partners' Boards of Trustees to help to ensure a better understanding of HLP's vision and objectives
- Clear strategic thinker
- Experienced manager
- Experience of Voluntary Sector
- Knowledge and experience of:
- Performance Management
- Business Financial Management
- Business growth
- Chairing meetings
- Good interpersonal skills and able to offer constructive challenge
This is an unpaid voluntary position and will be appointed for three years with re-appointment, if desired, by Board approval.
The Board and the supporting Finance & General Purposes Committee both meet quarterly. Meetings are usually held at HLP's offices in Tring but have been conducted on Zoom recently because of Covid.
How to Apply
To arrange an informal conversation about the role please email: David Griffiths, CEO, HLP: DavidGriffiths@hospicelottery.org.uk
To apply please email JoTurner@fnhospice.org.uk briefly setting out why you are interested in becoming HLP Chair and what skills and professional experience you could bring to the Board. Please attach a CV or LinkedIn profile.
Application closing date: 25 March 2021
Interview date: early April 2021