22 days ago
Appointment of Chair
Thank you for your interest in becoming the Chair of Great Britain Wheelchair Rugby Limited (GBWR).
I have been privileged to be involved with GBWR for over ten years. The sport has changed dramatically during this period, and I believe that now is the appropriate time for new leadership to steer GBWR through the next stage of its evolution. As such, I will be stepping down post the Tokyo Paralympics and, with early succession planning being a key part of the GBWR strategy, we are looking to recruit a 'chair designate' who will work in tandem with me from appointment (target January 2020) until becoming chair in September 2020.
The Board believes that this is a particularly exciting time for the sport. At the elite level wheelchair rugby, aka 'murderball', was one of the biggest hits of the London 2012 and Rio 2016 Paralympic Games. Since Rio, the GB team has been on an upward trajectory, is now ranked fourth in the world, and is well placed to challenge for our first Paralympic medal at the Tokyo Games.
At grassroots, the sport is thriving, with not only a growing number of clubs and members, but also new disciplines now established offering the sport to a wider range of disability groups.
However, whilst the strength of our club system, success at generating sponsorship income and increasing numbers playing the sport are indicators of a healthy future, it is of course important not to be complacent. New developments bring new challenges, including the need to ensure we continually provide enjoyable and fulfilling experiences for all members, meeting ever-more stringent governance and safeguarding requirements, and generating enough income to sustain the future of our sport. There is still much to do! (Kevin Aitchison, Chair GBWR)
As chair designate the successful candidate will work with me and the rest of the Board to enable a smooth handover and will take an immediate pivotal role in the following:
- The UK Sport and Sport England 2021-2024 Investment Submissions Process.
- Appointment of new non-executive independent directors with finance and governance expertise.
Candidates should have a passion for sport with an awareness of the social impact that sport plays in our communities.
If you believe you can provide strong leadership and direction to GBWR and have the time and enthusiasm to take on this rewarding role, then I strongly encourage you to apply.
The successful candidate will need to demonstrate how they meet the following essential criteria:
- Experience of leading Boards/Committees or senior executive groups.
- A strong strategic leadership track record with the ability to foster credibility through both personality and experience.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of good governance and strong financial acumen.
- Strong stakeholder management skills, with the ability to operate effectively within a complex and diverse stakeholder environment.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) including the ability to balance the need to speak candidly with tact and diplomacy.
- The ability to manage and maintain successful relationships, raise the profile of an organisation and to act as its public face.
In addition to the essential criteria required for this role, GBWR would be interested to hear from candidates with expertise in one or more of the following:
- Knowledge, understanding and/or experience of working in Disability sport.
- Experience of working within a charitable organisation.
- Knowledge of issues affecting sport and the sport environment and an understanding of the political environment with respect to sport.
- Experience of fundraising and attracting sponsorship.
How to apply and submit your application To apply, please send:
- A CV of no more than two sides of A4.
- A supporting statement of no more than two sides of A4, giving specific evidence of your ability to meet the key responsibilities and person specification and your reason for application.
- Names and contact details, including email addresses, for two referees and in what capacity you know them.
Completed applications should be sent to: email@example.com by Wednesday 6th November 2019. Please put 'Chair Appointment' in the subject title.