5 months ago
What is The Royal British Legion?
The Royal British Legion (the Legion) is the UK's leading Armed Forces charity. We are at the heart of a national network that supports our Armed Forces community through thick and thin - ensuring their unique contribution is never forgotten. We provide services and support to all members of the British Armed Forces and their families.
You can find out more about the charity on our website www.britishlegion.org.uk/about-us/ or follow us on Twitter at @PoppyLegion
What is a Caseworker Volunteer?
The Royal British Legion provides services and support to members of the Armed Forces community, and volunteer play a key part in this. In this role you will be supporting the Legion by meeting with people that we support to assess their needs and manage the delivery of straightforward cases.
What will you be doing?
This role may involve:
- Meeting people we support in Legion premises or in their homes
- Interviewing the people we support to assess their needs and circumstances
- Completing the relevant paperwork to ensure they receive the services and support they are entitled to
- Developing a plan with people, and report back to a Case Officer, making recommendations
- Develop and maintain a working knowledge of the Legion, its values and behaviours, objectives and services and support
- Develop an understanding of the statutory benefits framework, and local support services
- You may have the opportunity to be involved in sales of Poppy Shop items using the electronic ordering system (no cash handling), if based in a Pop In Centre, which may include restocking products
This may suit people who are:
- Able to communicate clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing
- Comfortable working on their own
- Confident in the use of computers and the internet, particularly Microsoft Office and email.
- Able to organise own workload and work to deadlines
- Committed to acting in line with Legion policies and procedures, including those relating to data protection; confidentiality; safeguarding; health and safety and equality and diversity
- Willing to give a regular commitment of time
What support will be available to you?
- A designated person to discuss your volunteering with
- Training and opportunities for further development
- A handbook to support your volunteering
- Day-to-day support from a member of the team
- A volunteer agreement that outlines both our expectations of you as well as what you can expect from us
What do you need to know?
This role does not require a regular weekly commitment of time. The geographical area and time you can give will be agreed with your volunteer manager.
- Three-day face-to-face training.
- Shadowing and support, as required.
- Expected to complete mandatory online learning with annual refresher courses.
Out-of-pocket travel costs between home and place of volunteering will be reimbursed, and other reasonable expenses agreed in advance.
- The minimum age for Caseworker Volunteer is 18 years old.
- Access to own transport.is necessary.
- Two* satisfactory references and an enhanced criminal record (DBS) check are required.
*If you are already a Legion volunteer or member, we will require one reference from your Legion contact.
What is in it for you?
- Develop experience of providing one-to-one support
- Develop report-writing skills
- Gain a working knowledge of statutory services and the benefits system
- Be part of a committed and friendly team
- Gain experience and skills to build your CV
- Make a difference to the Armed Forces community
Our values and behaviours
Does the following describe you?
- Passionate about supporting the Armed Forces community and honouring their contribution
- Enjoy and thrive in working in teams and with others
- Have a desire to provide great support in all that you do
- Committed to being the best you can and to learn and develop new and existing skills
- An encourager, eager to share your knowledge and experience to help others
If you are interested in applying for this role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.