over 2 years ago
Active Prospects enables people to live full and aspiring lives. We aim to become a leading organisation known for excellence with our people and community living better lives. We are passionate about people living as independently as possible. Our 250 staff work together with 300 young people and adults each year, including people with learning disabilities, autism, mental health needs, acquired brain injuries, sensory impairment and people with Asperger's Syndrome.
We are a Community Benefit Society with charitable status, and a social enterprise. We have a strong portfolio of properties, largely owned but also rented in partnership with Housing Associations and private landlords.
We have been established for over twenty years and were initially set up to manage former NHS Learning Disability services. We are based in the East and Mid-Surrey area, and Croydon. We are commissioned by Surrey County Council, but also by a number of London Boroughs, West Sussex County Council and Health Trusts, as well as people paying directly for services
For more information about the services we offer, please visit http://www.activeprospects.org.uk
Role of Board Members
The Board supports the work of Active Prospects and provides mission based leadership and strategic governance, while day to day operations are led by Active Prospects’ Chief Executive Officer (CEO), and through the Senior Management Team and Managers.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Serving as a trusted advisor to the CEO whilst developing and implementing Active Prospects’ strategic plan and key objectives
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by Active Prospects and its subsidiaries for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving Active Prospects’ annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions being informed of, and meeting all legal and Board Member responsibilities
- Assisting to develop key policies and service models
- Identifying and evaluating new business opportunities and appraising major initiatives prior to implementation and reviewing delivery success
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the CEO
- Assisting the CEO and Board Chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the CEO and Senior Management/Board Members to ensure that Board resolutions are carried out
- Serving on committees or task forces and taking on special assignments
- Representing Active Prospects to stakeholders, acting as an ambassador for the organisation
- Ensuring Active Prospects’ commitment to a diverse Board and staff that reflects the communities Active Prospects serves
- Active Prospects’ Board Members will serve a three year term to be eligible for re-appointment for two additional terms
- There is a probationary period of nine months
- Group Board meetings will be held quarterly with an additional annual Away Day to consider key strategic and policy issues
- Service of Active Prospects is without remuneration, although reasonable expenses may be claimed
- It will involve around six to eight days a year commitment to Active Prospects’ work
- This will principally be attendance at quarterly Board meetings, usually lasting two to three hours, an Away Day held each January for all Board members, reading reports and being available for advice, or input to project groups as required
Ideal Experience, Skills and Qualifications
- Extensive professional or personal experience, with significant leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, the community or the not for profit sector
- A commitment to, and understanding of, the issues faced by people who use our services, preferably based on experience. We especially welcome customer members and/or their carers and families to be fully involved in our work
- Strong diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating and building consensus among diverse individuals
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility and a passion for improving the lives of people who use Active Prospects’ services
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the recruitment team on 01293 812 036 for more information.