almost 3 years ago
Ryton Gardens, Wolston Lane, Ryton on Dunsmore, Coventry, CV8 3LG
About Garden Organic
Garden Organic is the UK’s leading organic growing charity and is dedicated to researching and promoting organic gardening, farming and food. Our purpose is to get as many people as possible to grow organically.
What do our volunteer gardeners contribute?
Working as part of a new small team, our Biodynamic garden volunteer will contribute to the maintenance and development of our flagship organic gardens at Ryton, which serve to inspire and educate visitors. You will specialise in looking after the Biodynamic garden, ensuring that it is looked after to the highest standard. You will also provide a friendly face for visitors to the garden, answering any questions they may have. You may also be asked to help with the planning and development of this garden in the future.
Why volunteer for Garden Organic?
Ryton Gardens lies at the heart of our work to promote organic gardening, offering volunteers the chance to make a real contribution in a beautiful and unique setting. In tending these gardens you will develop your own knowledge and skills whilst helping to spread the organic message to visitors. Simply enjoy the company of a friendly group of like-minded gardeners, or use your time with us as a stepping stone into work or college.
What’s in it for you?
- Becoming part of a friendly and dedicated team
- Support and biodynamic training.
- Meeting people from all walks of life
- Getting your hands dirty and enjoying the great outdoors
- Developing your own organic and biodynamic gardening knowledge and skills
- Membership of the Biodynamic Association and Garden Organic*
Tasks can be variable depending on the season, needs of the garden and weather and can include:
- Specialising in the upkeep of the biodynamic garden including:
- Seed sowing, propagation, planting out
- Weeding, deadheading and general care of beds and borders and pathways
- Pruning and care of shrubs and trees
- Looking after the pond and flow form
- Biodynamic composting
- Maintaining good Health and Safety practices
- Biodynamic Preparation making and spraying
- Helping to maintain clear signs and labels around the biodynamic garden to educate and inform visitors
- Answering questions from visitors
- Giving the gardening team any other assistance that may be needed
This role will suit people who
Ideally we need volunteers for this garden to have some experience and knowledge of organic gardening and a desire to learn more (unfortunately we are unable to support complete novices at present)
- Have good communication and listening skills
- Have a cheerful demeanor and enjoy working as part of a team
- Are reasonably fit and willing to work out of doors in all weathers
- Have a positive, organised and flexible approach to work
- Might be looking for experience with a view to pursuing a career in horticulture
- Are happy to work unsupervised from time to time
- Are prepared to attend joint training sessions
What do we offer our volunteers?
- Full induction to Garden Organic
- Specialist training in looking after the biodynamic garden
- Appropriate support and supervision
- Task appropriate personal protective equipment
- Reasonable travel expenses
- Membership of Garden Organic and the Biodynamic Association*
- Job references
Volunteers are asked to wear sturdy boots and bring weather appropriate clothing.
For further details and an application form please contact:
Debi Maltby, Volunteer Coordinator; Ryton Gardens, Wolston Lane, Ryton-on-Dunsmore, Coventry, CV8 3LG, Tel. 024 7630 8237, email firstname.lastname@example.org
*Subject to contributing an agreed number of hours per year.