Reasonable travel and lunch expenses covered
almost 4 years ago
Liberty is currently looking for dedicated and enthusiastic volunteers to assist its Advice and Information team. Volunteers will conduct legal research and draft responses to queries from members of the public regarding a wide variety of human rights and civil liberties issues. Most often these include the following areas:
- Rights under the Human Rights Act/European Convention on Human Rights
- Data Protection and information rights
- Actions against the police
- Equality Act issues
- Other public law claims and remedies
Applicants must either have completed a law degree or be studying for (or have completed) a post-graduate legal qualification, such as the Bar Professional Training Course or Legal Practice Course.
Volunteers are expected to commit to one day per week (flexible working patterns i.e. two half days, will be considered) and for a minimum of three months. We have a policy of not retaining volunteers for longer than 6 months and never for more than one day per week or the equivalent thereof. Liberty does not pay its volunteers but does cover lunch expenses (up to £5 a day) and travel expenses (up to the value of a zone 1-6 travel card).
Interested applicants should also refer to the person specification and complete the application form for this role. The deadline for applications is: 12 noon on Monday 24 April 2017. Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
We expect to hold interviews on Tuesday 2 May 2017 and Wednesday 3 February 2017 and a training afternoon on Friday 5 May 2017. Please bear this in mind when submitting your application.
The interview process will involve consideration and discussion of a pre-interview exercise which will relate to those areas of law in which we most commonly advise. The exercise does not require specific knowledge but will be used to assess the ability to identify and analyse potential legal issues.
We are happy to consider holding interviews by Skype, where necessary.
If you require any reasonable adjustments in order to submit your application and/or attend an interview, please do not hesitate to let us know.
- The closing date for applications is 12 noon on Monday 24 April 2017. No applications will be accepted after this time. Please download an application form from https://www.liberty-human-rights.org.uk/who-we-are/volunteering-work-experience and send the completed form to email@example.com. Successful applicants will be contacted as early as possible with confirmation of interview details.
- Interviews will be held on Tuesday 2 May 2017 and Wednesday 3 February 2017 at Liberty’s offices in Westminster successful interviewees will then be invited to a training afternoon on Friday 5 May 2017.
- Successful applicants will ideally be able to begin volunteering week commencing 8 May 2017.
We value diversity at TPP and welcome applications from all sections of the community.