2 months ago
Crisis is the national charity for homeless people. We are determined to end homelessness. We do it person by person and by influencing policies to ensure everyone has a place to call home.
Homelessness is devastating, leaving people vulnerable and isolated.
Crisis offers ground-breaking housing, health, education and employment services. We work with thousands of homeless people across the UK every year. We are determined campaigners. We draw on our research, partnerships and years of experience of working directly with homeless people to deliver change and a vision to end homelessness for good.
You will contribute to ending homelessness by
Providing administrative, hands-on practical, and organisational support to Skylight staff. This will be focussed on facilitating the exciting move of Skylight Brent offices to a new building in Harlesden, allowing us to support more people out of homelessness.
Timings: Mid-August - December 2021, one day a week (Monday-Thursday)
Location: Crisis Skylight Brent, 2 Ajax Building, 16a St Thomas's Rd, London NW10 4AJ
Responsible to: Justin Salmon, Administration and Facilities Manager
What you will gain
- Workplace project experience in a national organisation
- The opportunity to share existing or develop new skills in a friendly and supportive environment
- Opportunities to work with staff and fellow volunteers during the year and an invite to our member celebrations where you can help us recognise the achievements of our members
- Regular meetings with your supervisor to discuss how your volunteering is going and what other. opportunities and training may be available to you together with an induction.
- A platform for building confidence.
- A reference from a reputable organisation
- Project administrative support including:
- Updating calendar and progress logs
- Support tendering and procurement process where required
- Supporting process for I.D cards for staff
- Keeping inventory records and databases up to date
- Some email communication with staff when required
- Supporting relocation planning and administration for the office move.
- Practical Facilities support including:
- Taking inventory of Skylight assets (IT, furniture & equipment).
- Stock taking of material resources and stationery
- Manual handling support to prepare for move - packing boxes, shredding documents etc.(not heavy loads)
- Supporting with preparations to make the new building Covid safe
- To help with the office's printing, filing, photocopying, scanning, shredding & recycling
- To help with any other general administration that is needed
- To complete induction session, and online training modules required for the role
Who we are looking for
- Strong organisational skills with a keen eye for detail and accuracy
- Good IT skills with the ability to use the internet, email and Microsoft Office including Excel
- Interpersonal communication skills
- A positive can-do attitude with willingness to be hands-on and practical.
- Enjoys keeping a tidy and organised work area
- Good time-keeping and reliability
- Non-judgemental, patient and friendly
- The ability to lift and carry small loads safely
- An understanding of the importance of confidentiality and maintaining boundaries
- Be positive, productive and have a passion to help end homelessness
- Someone able to carry out the induction and training required for the role
We expect volunteers to comply with Crisis policies including health and safety, data protection and code of conduct at all times.
- Travel and lunch expenses are reimbursed where appropriate
- We welcome applications from people from all backgrounds and from people with disabilities
How do I apply?
Please complete the Volunteer Application Form and Equal Opportunities Monitoring Form online at:
Deadline for applications is 2nd August 2021