Accountable to: Andrew Goodwin, Hearing Loss Outreach Service Manager
Why is this role needed?
The Jewish Deaf Association (JDA) runs a number of services for deaf and hard of hearing people, aimed at reducing loneliness and isolation. We need cheerful and positive people to help enable residents to participate in activities, to engage with other residents and become more independent.
By volunteering on a regular basis, you’ll develop important and supportive relationships with the residents and staff of care homes.
Spend time with residents to improve access to activities taking place in the centre, provide companionship and enable residents to make life easier and more enjoyable.
- Spend time with residents to improve their access to activities happening in the residential home
- Provide companionship and assist with communication support
- Promote the use of deaf awareness with the staff in the home in along with JDA staff
- Signpost residents and their carers or family to extra help available
- Promote the use of other appropriate equipment and referrals to the Information and Technology Centre
- Assist the promotion of the service by attending appropriate events with JDA staff
Key skills, experience and attributes required:
- Excellent time keeping and reliability - essential
- Personal experience of living with hearing loss would be an advantage
- Good listening skills and clear speech
- Cheerful and friendly personality
- At ease with and interested in people from different backgrounds
- An interest in resolving the challenge faced by people with hearing loss
- To be prepared to travel to care homes (expenses paid).
- Access to a phone to call the service user to make meeting arrangements.
- Access to a computer to receive emails and return feedback forms
- To become a volunteer you will be asked to complete the volunteer application pack, to attend a high quality training course and to sign the terms and conditions
- References and a Disclosure and Barring Service check will be required for all volunteer roles
- You will be reimbursed for all agreed travel costs.
Benefits to individuals of performing the role:
- Rewarding – the satisfaction that you have enabled a person with hearing loss to access services
- available in the care home
- A focused and supportive training course (including deaf awareness)
- Full support from the lovely staff at JDA and the feeling of being part of a valued team
- Volunteering for a reputable Charity and supporting a cause you care about
- Developing skills to enhance your CV
- Increased social opportunities and meeting new people
- Building confidence and self-esteem
- Volunteers can commit to performing their role on a regular or occasional basis, (depending on personal preference)
- To enable you get the most out of your training, volunteering and to provide continuity, we ask you to commit to the role for at least six months.
It is expected that all volunteers will:
- Undertake their volunteering in accordance with the values of JDA
- Adhere to JDA’s volunteering policies and procedures
- Support the principles outlined in the organisation’s Equal Opportunities and Diversity Policy
- Attend any specific training required for the role to support the effective undertaking of their volunteering
- Follow instructions and accept supervision.
Everyone will be offered the opportunity to volunteer with JDA as specified in the Equalities Act 2010.
Having a criminal conviction, may not prevent you from volunteering – please see our Criminal Conviction policy for further information.
How to apply:
To apply for the role, please fill out the application form which is available on our website, or you can contact us for a paper copy to be posted to you (see out contact numbers below).
Please either email it to Andrew Goodwin, Hearing Loss Outreach Service Manager, at email@example.com or post the completed form to:
Julius Newman House
Woodside Park Road
London N12 8RP
Telephone: 020 8446 0502 (voice)
Textphone: 020 8446 4037
Telephone: 020 8446 0214 (Technology & Information Centre- voice, textphone, answerphone)
Fax: 020 8445 7451
Ref: EXPIRED - LF653 | Published: 18th Aug 2016